Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Snake is Still a Snake

For some reason, an old story as been on my mind lately. The story is about a woman who finds a frozen snake on a path in the woods. She takes the snake home and puts it next to the fire; warms it and revives it. She feeds it bits of chicken and lovingly nurses it back to health.

A few nights later she is sitting on her couch in front of the fire and the snake is dozing next to her. For no reason, the snake uncoils and strikes the woman in the throat. As she sinks to the floor, dying, she looks at the snake and asks, "How could you do that? You would have died if I hadn't saved you and nursed you back to health!"

The snake said, "Yes, and I appreciated your efforts. But, when you picked me up, you knew I was a snake."

I've recently run into a couple of situations in business (like we all do) in which I put my faith in some folks hoping they would act in a manner that ran counter to their history. And I (we) was disappointed...or was I? I had a pretty good idea how they would act. My initial and deeper judgement was right, and my faith cost me.

I'm not saying I won't trust again. I'm sure I will. I keep hoping I'll be wrong. However, there is a lot of truth to the old saying, "Buzzards don't fly with eagles."

How we react to our contacts with other people often determines whether we have a Perfect Workday or not. Don't give up on people, but if you know a snake is a snake, don't be surprised if it bites you.

No comments:

Post a Comment