Friday, August 1, 2008

Joni Mitchell and The Tax Man

TGIF! I'm about ready for a weekend, aren't you? Summer is two-thirds over, which is not good. But, college football season is only 4 weeks away, which is great!

Yin and Yang. Both sides.

In 1970, Joni Mitchell sang about "Both Sides Now," (there's a great video on You Tube) and I've been thinking about that song in relation to taxes.

Last week, I heard some people on a plane whining about how their taxes are used and abused. I avoid discussions like that. I'm one of the few people who does not think my taxes are wasted. I don't know about your taxes, but mine are used to repair bridges, teach children, provide better equipment for the military, and offer services for military families.

Stay with me on this for a moment. Tax use is most often explained in percentages; "12% of your taxes go to farm subsidies," that sort of thing. Well, mine aren't. I know this is a simplistic way to look at taxes, but I believe that all my taxes go for the things the government is doing that I agree with.

It's not that I'm in agreement with all the decisions made by my state and national government. But for the good things they do they have my permission to use my tax dollars. If you drive a lot, like I do, your tax dollars go for stop signs, interstate highways, good roads, and federal regulations (and the people to enforce them) that encourage car makers to create safe vehicles. I don't believe that any of my taxes go for the silly and stupid things some politicians decide to spend money on.

If you believe your government is doing things you don't want them to do with YOUR dollars, then do something...vote. In the last election 92 million Americans had a dramatic effect on the election...they didn't vote.

I hope you are now asking, "What in the world does this have to do with having a Perfect Workday?" Here's the deal. We tend to worry about so many things that we have little or no control over...taxes and how they are used is one of them. Worry takes energy away from getting more done during the day and enjoying life.

So, do something about the things that directly affect your life and figure out a reasonable way to understand the other stuff so that it worries you less.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment