Friday, October 31, 2008

No Relatives and Candy Out the Wazzoo!

You know what I love about Halloween? No relatives and candy out the wazoo! Ya gotta love any holiday like that.

Yesterday was one of those days that started wonderfully, took a nosedive that was a surprise, and ended up great. I had tricks AND treats.

Yesterday morning, as I was waiting to present my seminar, I was reading a couple of paragraphs from John C. Maxwell's, Your Road Map for Success Workbook. He was talking about getting knocked down and quoted a guy as saying, "I'm either up, or getting up."

Later in the day, as I was going through the challenge, I thought about that quote and realized that it was, and is, a wonderful philosophy of life. "I'm either up, or getting up."

Maxwell is one of my favorite modern philosophers. He's the speaker/writer who said, "Your probability of success is based on your willingness to have difficult conversations."

Sometimes being "up" or "getting up" involves having some of those "difficult conversations." I've said that for a long time, but I'm just now starting to truly understand the reality of how difficult those conversations can be. A wise woman recently said to me, "it's amazing how powerful we are and how powerless."

We are responsible for the power, or lack of it, in each instance.

After my nosedive/challenge yesterday I had to have a couple of difficult conversations....and you know what?....they turned out great.

Sometimes the worst part of "getting up" is the worry part.

I think the key to moving through challenges is a lot like the dynamics of Halloween. It's dark, it's scary, and sometimes we don't know who is going to open the door when we knock. But, if we have the courage to walk up the steps and knock, it usually turns out great.

Have a Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment