Friday, November 21, 2008

What If?

I woke to a light dusting of snow. A promise of the winter to come, I guess.

My first thought was, "Is it time to pull out the winter clothes and get the car winterized?" I was playing What If? in my head in order to anticipate problems, challenges and opportunities.

Yesterday's newspaper included a story about layoffs at a company my son works for. I called and asked if he was one of the unlucky ones; he is not. I then offered some parental advice (appreciated or not). I said, "This weekend, when you are kicking back, drinking a beer, you should take a few minutes and play What If? As in, 'What If the next time they lay people off I'm one of the ones who takes the hit?' "

I have to believe that there are investors in America who are waking every morning and smiling because they saw the sub-prime loan situation, played What If?, and put their money ultra-conservative investments.

Taking some time to ask, "What If?," and anticipate challenges is simple good planning. This weekend might be a good time for you to ask What If? in your life. A lot of folks don't like to think about the bad scenarios because, "If I think about it it might happen." That sort of head-in-the-sand approach to life begs for trouble.

Finally, what if you also looked in the opposite direction. Take a little time on Sunday and ask, "What If?" about good things in life. What if I had exactly the job I wanted? What if I did lose 20 pounds? What if I had the difficult conversation I have been putting off?

How would your life change for the better if those types of What If? came true?

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment