Monday, December 22, 2008

I Busted My A** Last Night!

"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." - Terry Pratchett
*

I fell down the stairs last night. Actually, I didn't fall DOWN the stairs; I missed the last one. Did the same thing the night before, but was able to catch myself and not take a tumble, so you'd think I would have been a little more careful. Sock feet, slick wood, and a large body in a hurry to get downstairs to see the Panthers/NY Giants game was a recipe for a loud BUMP!

As I lay on the floor I thought, "Man! This hurts like a _________!" After running through a quick checklist: ankle, foot, arm, side, I realized that, while nothing was broken, I had taken a pretty bad lick to my left side.

After a fitful night I'm moving slowly this morning and thinking about the quote at the top of the blog.

What happened last night was just part of living...we all experience all kinds of falls; physical, financial, emotional, professional. Many of the young guys who played in NFL games yesterday are waking up feeling worse, physically, than I do, and they do it every week for 16-20 weeks. The fact that they are younger and in a lot better shape (hey, is that a fat joke?) is relative.

The pain in my side is not going away today. In fact, I've been hurt before so I know that it won't be completely healed for awhile. But, if I take care of myself, slow down a bit, and learn from my experience, my side will get better....I will get better.

Have You taken any falls lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment