Friday, January 16, 2009

Baby It's Coooooold Outside!!

I'm sure that sometime next August when it's surface-of-the-sun hot and I'm doing the quick step across the deck to get a beer I'm going to look back on this morning with longing....but it ain't August.

It's 17 degrees in Raleigh at 8 am and we're looking for 10 degrees tonight. I know, I know, our friends in Chicago are looking at 2 degrees with a windchill of 10 below. But, I'm not in Chicago and this is waaaay cold enough for me.

Having said that, here's my reality:
-I'm sitting in a warm house with a refrigerator and cabinets full of food
- A car filled with gas is waiting in the garage under the wonderful office in which I sit
- I have enough clothes to be somewhat embarrassed about it in the closet behind me
- I'm listening to beach music on my computer and getting it over the Internet which means that it is being beamed from a radio station in Myrtle Beach to a satellite in outer space and then back to me
- I have more books than I can possibly read in a lifetime scattered throughout my office
- In a few hours I'll venture out to one of the best gyms I've ever been to and I am healthy enough to do a workout that will be great, and I won't have to worry about someone checking my "papers" or shooting me from a rooftop or blowing up a device beside my car
- In a few moments I'll use a telephone system in which I have utmost confidence to call my mother to make sure she's ok (she's 80) and warm
- There are people in my life whom I love and people who love me...or, at least they seem to...there is a disagreement about that French maid's outfit but that's another story

Three years ago, in a University of Miami study, researchers found that people who, at the end of each day, listed five things they had to be appreciative of in their lives, tended to have lower blood pressure, fewer depressive episodes, and were "happier" with their lives.

It's easy to focus on the stresses whether they are weather, physical, or financial. But, what's going right in your life? What does your list look like right now?

As the financial clouds continue to swirl (who knows what the storm will eventually look like?) your ability to focus on what is going right will be increasingly important.

Try the exercise...and don't do it in your head...do it on paper...or on your computer screen (actually writing it on paper is better...there is a psychomotor connection that increases the effectiveness of the exercise)...here's the question...What do you appreciate in your life?

See you Monday. Stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment