Monday, February 16, 2009

The Sound of Music

(Writing this at about 10:40 on Sunday night. Listening to The Clovers sing, “Don’t Play That Song.”)

It’s no secret how much I love music. I keep the owners of iTunes and Sirius Satellite Radio in Mercedes.

Music is like aural wallpaper to me. I’ve got to have it almost as soon as I get up in the morning, and it’s the last thing I hear before going to bed at night.

What I have to be careful of, though, is letting music send me too far in one emotional direction or the other. No kidding, if you play the right Jimmy Buffett or Beach Music song I’d just as soon not show up for work; just call in “stupid,” buy a case of beer, and head for the beach…with the music on wide open.

I can drive into Boone, NC, and hear Kenny Loggins in my head; driving into Greenville makes me think about The Doobie Brothers.

I’ve discovered what societies have known for centuries. Music can be used as a tool. If I get down I can play music to get me back up. (uh oh, Jackie Wilson’s singing “Higher and Higher”…time to turn it up!) If I need a little motivation I can play “Heroes” by The Commodores. I used to run while listening to the soundtrack from the ’84 Olympics, and I can add 20 pounds to my bench press if you play “Whipping Post,” by the Allman Brothers really loud!

What type of music gets you going? Be careful with it. Music can also be a downer, or send your mind off in a negative direction. And where do you listen to it? Music in the car on the way to work can be a great idea…if it gets you in a productive, positive mood. But, I am especially an advocate of upbeat music in the car on the way home from work.

My Perfect Workday definitely includes music. How about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment