Friday, March 13, 2009

A Change is Gonna Come

Just about everything I read in the newspaper is bad. Even talking to my CPA on Thursday morning when I handed over my taxes, was bad.

So, how’d we get in the mess they keep describing. Here’s my two-cents worth; at critical times we resisted change. It’s a cliché to say “change is hard,” but as one of America’s great philosophers, Jimmy Buffett, sang, “Cliches say what they mean and mean what they say.

I’ll be the first to admit that changing is tough. I’m trying to change right now and it’s about to do me in. Why don’t we change when we see it’s needed? Here are five reasons:
- We see change as a loss of control
- We are overwhelmed by it
- We believe the change is wrong
- It’s the flavor of the month
- We want to avoid embarrassment or pain

You know what killed the dinosaurs don’t you? No, it wasn’t smoking, or eating too much fat, or global warming (I can tell it’s Friday)…it was an inability to adapt, to change, fast enough.

Change can be scary and exhilarating, both at the same time.

The best way to handle change is to take it one small step at a time. Actually, that’s a cliché…and it isn’t true.

Almost all the compelling evidence about changes such as dieting, life shifts, and societal changes shows that fast, dramatic changes work better than the incremental steps. Fast changes cause show quicker results, which feed efforts because you see some success, which leads to more quickly accepting the change.
Change something this weekend….and look for a new cliché.

No comments:

Post a Comment