Monday, March 9, 2009

It's Too Easy

Too easy.

Over the weekend I heard the phrase “too easy” a couple of times. The context in which I heard it, in fact, the context in which “too easy” is almost always heard, was negative.

It got me to thinking…mmm…too easy.

What’s wrong with something being too easy? Do we need to be challenged at everything? Does everything in life have to be some March From Bataan slog that finds us bloodied and spent at the end of it for it to have value? If someone makes something look too easy does that take credit away from them; unfortunately, in our society, yes, it does.

So, let me get this straight; outstanding athletes who make a catch, throw, or shot look easy aren’t to be congratulated? Actors who are so good that they look natural and we believe them: so good at what they do that we are pulled into the story and forget the façade of theater, aren’t to be appreciated? Business people who just seem to touch an idea and it makes money don’t deserve the money (Ok, maybe I am a little out on the edge with the big bankers and mortgage folks)?

Too easy.

Too easy almost always comes in the eye of the beholder. Only in a few cases will the doer say, “it was almost too easy.” When you hear that comment coming from someone who performed the easy act a couple of things may be going on. First, they could simply be being modest and trying to protect you. What they might actually be saying could be, “This thing you just saw me do is so damn hard or complicated that there is little possibility that you could ever do it, but I don’t want to hurt your feelings.” Or, they suffer from the same put-down syndrome many of us do and they are, in fact, putting themselves down for the achievement. Finally, they could have been in a state of flow in which all their talents, skills, and abilities were highly focused and they accomplished the task in what researchers understand to be a light trance…so, it seemed easy.

Too easy.

Don’t we all wish it was too easy? Now, come on…if you’re sitting there thinking, “Man, I wish most of life was hard as hell. In fact, I wish things were a lot harder just so I could pull myself up,” then you are making life a lot harder than it has to be.

I want things to be too easy. There are lots of activities in life I want to spend my time on. I want to take the time I save doing the too easyand spend it on those other things that I’m not very good at, but that make life worthwhile.

If you accomplish something in life, and it seemed too easy, relish it.

You know, now that I think about it…this blog was waaaayyyyy too easy for a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment