Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Grown-Ups Are Out of the House!!

April is National Humor Month! That’s not an April Fool’s Joke.

Today is a great day to start the month with a lighter heart. And, in today’s life the one thing that can get you through all the dreariness is a sense of humor.

Charlie Chaplin said that humor is serious business. You have to make a habit of looking for fun, it doesn’t just happen.

If you do not already have digital and hard-copy fun files, you need to start them today. Collect funny quotes, cartoons, stuff (ex. funny toys), lists, analogies, definitions, and observations.

Be careful about cynical or negative humor. Research shows that that sort of humor does not have the same healing, uplifting affect as positive humor.

Fun and humor strategies can be used as diffusers of conflict, educational tools, stress relief, as meeting ice-breakers, in memos/messages/emails, and to help people deal with change.

I keep a collection of joke books nearby. When I have a down moment or day, I reach for one of the books and read jokes until I find one that makes me laugh out loud. Problem solved.
Find reasons for fun and to smile.

In fact, I’m headed to Atlantic Beach, NC, for two days of seminars, and I’m planning on having a ton of fun in addition to the fun I have presenting seminars.

Since I’ll be out of town for two days blogs may be a little late or non-existent. So, while I’m gone, look at it like the grown-ups being out of the house. Have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment