Monday, April 6, 2009

Twinkies and Tar Heels

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that when you get to a certain age life should be the way you want it to be. For some people that age comes sooner than it does for others; for the others, it obviously comes later. No matter, though. If you are going to truly live life, you have to make a decision that the time has come.

Here’s a wonderful example: Today is the anniversary of the creation of the Hostess Twinkie. A friend of mine used to take a little straw (the kind you stir coffee with) and stick it in the end of the Twinkie. She would then suck all the creamy filling out. You’d see a plate of Twinkies in front of her and they’d look kinda deflated. She, however, would not look deflated at all. In fact, she’d have this huge smile on her face.

I’m getting to the point that I’m going to start looking at life like that. I have to. If I don’t, life will fly by me, and at the end I’ll look back and regret having not lived it to the fullest. So, if I want to suck all the creamy filling out of Twinkies I’m going to do that. Life’s too short to have it not be the way you want it to be. Or at least, to not try and make it the way you want it to be.

In order to make life like you want it there are usually difficult decisions you have to make and difficult discussions you have to have. It would be nice if it was easy. We all want tidy solutions to life (which is an untidy process). Sucking the filling out of Twinkies can get messy and there is always some cleaning up to do…and, unless you can find someone who likes the cake part of Twinkies, there will always be casualties in making some of those difficult decisions.

Here’s to Twinkies, to smiling, and to recognizing that “live” is an active verb.

Finally, my Tar Heels play for the National Championship tonight. If you don’t have a favorite, pull for light blue. If you go to Franklin Street after the victory I’ll be the guy with Twinkie filling in my hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment