Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek and Management

Let me say up front that I’m not a Trekkie, one of those folks who thinks the old Star Trek series was television’s version of The Bible. But, I had a chance to see the new Star Trek movie on Friday and really liked it. The movie had lots of action, super special effects, and a bunch of revelatory moments.

I was surprised about the number of times a scene tapped into my deeper emotions. What I realized was that I was letting the story teach me lessons. Many of the actors did great jobs of showing that while there was conflict between their characters on one level, on another level they were doing their best to help each other and to accomplish things that matter.

The workplace can be like that, especially in times of great stress. The old saying that, “Tough times show you who people really are,” is definitely true.  During difficult, challenging times the great people step up and concentrate on what really matters instead of letting the surface conflicts overwhelm them.

This week, when someone gets on  your last nerve, ask yourself, “What is it we are trying to accomplish? What really matters?” If you can get the other person thinking the same way you both can get closer to having a Perfect Workday.

And if you know even a little about the old Star Trek series and the dynamics of the major characters you'll like the movie. If you don't know anything about the series, and you like action movies, you love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment