Friday, June 26, 2009

Your "Power Spot"

Writer Dorothea Benton Frank has a wonderful article, “Why I Love the Coast,” in Coastal Living magazine this month.

She remembers reading Carlos Castaneda’s book, The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, in the ‘70s and discovering the concept of finding your “power spot.” It’s the place where you can stand in a room, or sit on a porch or at a table, and feel your power. If you expand the idea it becomes a place where you can take a walk, or swim, or just…be…and feel more powerful, or more in tune, or…just…better.

It’s my vacation and I’m going to one of those places tomorrow. There is an area on the edge of the campus at UNC-Chapel Hill that, if I walk there, I feel like I can fly. At dusk in the summer the air can be so humid that it’s almost as if you can see water hanging in the air. The big trees form a green tunnel and even the cars seem to whisper by.

You can use power spots to have a more Perfect Workday. Is there a place (not hiding in a stall in the bathroom) where you might feel more in control, or more at peace, or more energized? If you know the place, pick strategic times to go there. If you can’t go there in person, go there in your mind.

I can think of lots of times that I’ve been stressed and gone to my walking area in my mind and it’s made all the difference between me being able to handle a situation positively, or react negatively.

What is your “power spot?”

Find one this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment