Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Are You Burned Out?

At least once a day I’ll hear someone talk about being “burned out” or I’ll see a story in the news using the phrase.

Here’s what I think: You have to at least flame up before you can burn out.

Most of the people who talk about being burned out never even started to simmer. Their problem is….they are bored.

Ok, Ok, I can hear some of you saying right now, “But, I’m worn out. The business situation is such that I’m doing my job and I’ve taken on the responsibilities of someone the organization let go. I can’t do any more.”

Gotcha.

However, I immediately start wondering how much more effectively the person might work by being better at time management, making better decisions in the workplace, not procrastinating; just doing a better job at doing the job.

Also, lots of folks who talk about being burned out are just flat out bored. There are three types of stress: Distress (what we usually talk about when we discuss stress), Eustress (the stress we feel about good things…Christmas is stressful), and Hypostress (you’ve probably never heard of this…it’s the stress we feel because we are bored).

Most people in the workplace are smart folks. They learn the essentials of the job within about 18 months, if not sooner. And then they keep doing the same thing over and over. That sort of worklife is a Hypostress breeding ground; it's a killer.

So, if you think you are burned out, have your feet even started heating up?

No comments:

Post a Comment