Monday, July 27, 2009

Do Better Next Time, Sir!

Have been dizzy lately and my blood pressure is elevated. I’m supposed to take some blood pressure medicine on a regular basis and am not supposed to stop taking it abruptly, but I did. Lost the medicine on a trip and was not diligent about replacing it.

The situation is one of those that continues to remind me of the connectedness of life. One thing leads to another, and another, and then a consequence appears that you didn’t count on.

In our workdays, and in our lives, we can’t imagine every outcome. Trying to do that would mean spending our lives trying to imagine outcomes instead of creating outcomes which is the objective of the game of life.

But, ignoring simple efforts that don’t take much time (or energy, or ego, or money) and would prevent a seriously negative outcome is just dumb. I should have ordered new meds when the original ones did not show up. Now, I’m headed to the doctor to check on the dizziness and blood pressure.

In situations like this you can’t keep hammering yourself with woulda, shoulda, coulda. All you can say is what my friends in the military say, “Do better next time, sir!” And do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment