Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Why Not?

Just finished reading A History of the World In Six Glasses, by Tom Standadge. A GREAT summer read! It’s a “hey, listen to this” book; every few pages you lean over to the person sitting next to you and say, “Hey, listen to this.”

The book’s premise is that six drinks have created much of the world we know: beer, wine, distilled spirits, coffee, tea, and Coca Cola. I’m not going to go into all the connections between history and the drinks; if you want to know all that get the book.

However, the key point I took away was an affirmation of an issue that, the older I get, the more important it seems….the interconnectedness of so many issues in life. When people started drinking more beer and wine they became healthier because the alcohol in the drink killed many of the germs in the water they had available. Same thing happened when water for coffee and tea was boiled. Healthier people are better workers, raise healthier children, and create more lasting societies. See the connections?

Nothing happens in a vacuum. One thing happens, and it affects another issue which reaches out to a range of issues.

In order to see the connections in your day and life start asking the question, “Why?” more often. And, start reaching back with the “Why?” question. Psychologists talk about The 5 Whys. You can use The 5 Whys to understand almost any life action.

For example: Lots of folks come to my programs about how to start a small business. I ask them, “Why do you want to start a small business?” Answer: To make more money. Question: Why do you need to make more money? Answer: Because I run out before the end of the month. Question: Why do you run out of money? Answer: Because I’m not careful about what I spend it on. Question: Why aren’t you careful? Answer: Because I don’t have a budget (or, I’ve always been a spendthrift: or, because I’m trying to keep up with everyone else). Question: Why no budget? Answer: No one ever showed me how.

See how it works?

Try The 5 Whys on a sticky life problem and see where you get.

Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment