Monday, August 31, 2009

Maybe You Should Be a Circus Clown

Maybe you should be a circus clown. Or a doctor. Or a priest. Or a world-traveler. Or, simply, a fun-haver.

Aristotle said, “Where the needs of the world and your talents cross, there lies your vocation.”

I spent almost all of this weekend asking myself what I should be doing. I know, I know, some of you don’t get into this type of navel-gazing but every now and then we hit times in life at which we need to ask the big questions. I’m at one of those times now.

At 4 am this morning I was in the middle of doing exercises to try and get some answers. Google the phrase, “How do I create a personal mission statement?” and you'll see a ton of free resources. I went through about six sites doing the exercises, culling the best info and suggestions, and thinking about what was popping out.

One of the best exercises pushed for answers to two questions: What is your vision of the good life? How will you know when you get it?

One of my favorites was also two questions: Where do you want to go? Who do you want to take with you?

I don’t have all the answers, or the definitive one, but I am getting closer. I can feel it.

We’re rapidly closing in on Labor Day, the traditional end of summer and what used to be the beginning of the school year. I think a lot of us Boomers (or at least those of us who are football fans) still begin our year around Labor Day. So, it’s time for a new day, and maybe a new direction; a new experience.

If you don’t spend at least a little time trying to figure out your roadmap for where you want to end up then you can end up just about anywhere and you’ll be…somewhere. Is that going to get you where you want to go?

And that circus clown idea is looking better all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment