Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tell Me Something Good

Even though we are seeing some good news peeking through the headlines…green shoots…as some people are calling them, lots of folks are still talking about all the bad stuff.

I understand. We aren’t out of the woods yet on a whole range of issues; global, national, state, personal, but we can see glimmers of light.

Not long ago I ran into a friend who said, “Tell me something good.” I discovered that that is now his basic greeting to almost everyone. Making “Tell me something good” your opening greeting is a great habit to get into for a couple of reasons.

First, it puts you into a positive frame of mind. Second, it startles a lot people who are walking around just waiting to spread bad news or pessimism. Next, it puts the other person in a positive mood. Finally, and most important, it makes you what Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) calls a “transition person.” You are creating a transition from negative energy to positive energy. And that is an extraordinarily good thing.

So, tell me something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment