Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Flippin' the Triangle

Go grab a sheet of paper and a pen, you’ll need’em.

At the beginning of The Perfect Workday seminar I describe a perfect workday/time management as the interplay of Time, People, and Stuff (emails, paperwork, equipment).

I start by drawing a triangle on the board (you might want to do that on your sheet of paper right now). Then I label the sides: Time is the left side, People is the right, and Stuff is the bottom. I begin my description with Time.

I have to tell you that I am changing how I teach this part of the program. Here’s how and why:

From now on I’m going to draw and label the triangle as in the past…and then turn it one click counterclockwise. Try it. The turn automatically creates an upside-down triangle with a flat top.
The top becomes People. This why I’m changing: The biggest problem we have with People is Miscommunication and the best way to lower Miscommunication is by asking more and better Questions.

Instead of starting your day by trying to figure out what to do with your Time, start it by asking Questions; of yourself and others. The answers to the Questions will tell you what you need to do with your Time and Stuff.

The Questions begin with What, Why, Who, Where, When, How, How Much.

Start asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment