Monday, September 21, 2009

That's the Way, Uh Huh, Uh Huh, I Like It!

I woke this morning to KC and the Sunshine Band’s 1975 hit, “That’s the Way (I Like It).”

While I lay in that gray area just before becoming fully awake I realized that this past weekend included a lot of things I like: The Tar Heels won (31-17 over ECU), my wife and I had a great time, saw some old friends, beer was cold, burgers were perfect, taxi rides were fast, weather was wonderful, did I say the Tar Heels won?, music was danceable, church was memorable, a couple of walks through the trees on campus at Carolina were relaxing, Franklin Street was alive with people, workout was invigorating, and I did mention that the Tar Heels won, didn’t I?

Knowing what you like, what gives you the feeling of being happy, is one of the greatest realizations you can come to in life. If you don’t have a clear idea of what makes you happy, what you like, you’re simply floating through life hoping for pleasant accidents. Knowing what you like, planning for those events or experiences, and then actively working to make them happen is one of the keys to happiness. There is an often-repeated Chinese proverb that says the keys to happiness are: Having someone to love. Having something to do. Having something to look forward to.

Knowing what you like and planning for it means you having something to look forward to. Take a moment and write a list of ten things you like. Simple things. Like butter pecan ice cream. Now, make a point of experiencing three of the things on your list during the next 48 hours.

Trivia Point: The last I heard, Harry Wayne Casey (KC) lives in the exclusive Governor’s Club outside Chapel Hill, NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment