Thursday, October 1, 2009

Come Oooooooonnnnnnn!

I thought about doing a blog about Patience and then I thought, “Oh, what the hell, let’s just get on with it!”

Whether it’s prisoners doing time or children waiting for a birthday we all encounter situations when we wish time would go faster. Come ooooooooonnnnnn!

I can remember being young and talking to older people who would say, “Why are you in such a hurry?” And I’m thinking, “ 'Cause I want to get on with life!” What they didn’t tell me was that I was living life at that moment and I should slow down a bit and look around and enjoy it.

A wonderful little booklet, Patience Pays Off, lists these sources of impatience: obstacles, frustration, retaliation, confusion, lack of priorities, cold feet, fear, lack of self-confidence, competitiveness, the need for control, the need for rapid closure, and monotony. Pick your poison.

My devotion yesterday talked about “divine timing:” things will happen when their time comes.

If the spiritual reasoning doesn’t click for you just look around. Nature never hurries. Whether it’s the tides or the sun and moon or a growing rose everything happens on its own schedule. Try this: Go to a rose and say, “Come oooooooonnnnnn!” Right.

Shakespeare wrote of the patience of nature in Othello, “How poor are they that have not patience. What wound did ever heal but by degrees.”

I certainly wish it was different. But it isn’t.

Everything in its own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment