Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Peanut Butter and Raisins

I’m eating breakfast as I write this. My breakfast today, as it is probably 80% of the time, is a sandwich made on 15-grain bread with Jiff Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter with raisins sprinkled on it, an apple, and a big glass of milk.

Now, I’m not a health Nazi at all (although I do think it’s a reasonably healthy breakfast and it provides a lot of energy), it’s just that I like this breakfast so I have it as often as I can.

We make a ton of little decisions everyday based on what we like, what we want. But, are you making some of your big decisions based on what you would like, or on what you think you should do, or on what someone else would like?

The other day a friend told me that she had once asked her mother, “Mom, what do you want?” And her mother couldn’t come up with an answer. She had spent so much of her life doing for others that she didn’t know what she wanted.

There are those who would say that the woman was someone who had spent her life in selfless service to others. That sounds wonderfully grand. If the service was her choice that’s one thing, but if she never took a moment to ask, “Do I have a choice?” I think that’s sad.

You do have a choice, you know. And if you can’t immediately offer up what you want, that’s fine. Ask yourself, “What is it that makes me feel alive?”

If you don’t know what makes you feel alive….that is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment