Friday, November 13, 2009

Easy or Hard

Like a lot of you I’m working through some challenges in life right now. As I talk to people I hear, “You know, nothing worth having is easy.”

I’m willing to bet that some of you hold the belief so deeply that you just nodded your head with that sage, “That’s true, that’s true.”

But, is it?

Whenever everyone believes something it’s time to start asking yourself if it really is true. Or, are people saying it’s true and believing it simply because people are saying it’s true and believing it. Does everyone REALLY deserve a second chance? Is EVERY bird in the hand worth two in the bush?

I’m slowing but surely starting to ask myself, “Isn’t the way that seems easiest the best way in a lot of situations?” I can hear some of you grown-ups right now, “If it’s easier to (put any ridiculous example here) should you do that?” I’m not talking about things like, “Should I wear footy pajamas to work just because they're the only thing clean in my drawer?”….mmmm….ok, so who’s been to my house and looked…..ooops, sorry, I digressed.

But, here’s part of my evolving logic: Professor Adrian Bejan at Duke University is literally one of the smartest people on the planet, he is in the list of 100 scientists around the world whose work is most cited by other scientists, and Bejan’s Constructal Law (Google Constructal Law) shows that, as humans, we look for the path of least resistance. We’ve done this throughout our evolution because it’s a way to conserve energy and assure our survival. I’m beginning to wonder if this is the way to go on a lot of life decisions.

What feels right? My quote yesterday from Cicero notes that what is simple is often most congenial to man. I think simpler is easier.

There’s enough craziness OUTSIDE that makes life difficult without compounding your stress by making things harder INSIDE.

Try it this weekend. Take the simple, easy way. Don’t confuse things by making them harder.

Let’s find out if, “Nothing worth having is easy,” really is true. Or, if they’ve lied to us just to keep our noses to the grindstone.

I’ll go first.

No comments:

Post a Comment