Thursday, November 5, 2009

How Hot Is That Stove?

Ya gotta love stories like this: A 20-year old guy in Oxford, Ohio, dresses up as a Breathalyzer test for Halloween and gets pulled over and arrested for driving the wrong way down a one-way street, at night, with his headlights off.

Seems that he’d had a couple of beverages, one of which was open and in the car. He had a fake ID and blew .158 (yeah, you probably know the legal limit is .08).

I’ll admit that in my younger years I did stuff this stupid. In fact, this kid was a wimp; I blew .18. I’ll have to ‘fess up and say that my car wasn’t moving but the cops didn’t appreciate that fact. And further, I’ll admit that getting a DWI didn’t cure me of cracking a beer and driving.

What slowed me down was when I started realizing what I might lose and what heartache I might cause my family and others if I was involved in an accident. I had to have the experience and the time to think about it, to learn.

There’s a wonderful saying, “Some people learn by being told, some people learn by seeing it done…but, some people just have to touch that hot stove.”

A lot of us, when we’re young, are touchers…as we age we hope we get smarter and learn by hearing and seeing, especially as the stakes get higher.

And yet, even now, with almost six decades of experience, I still find myself reaching out to the stove and thinking, “I wonder just how hot…..”

No comments:

Post a Comment