Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Texting and Driving

I’ve got to stop texting while I drive.

I know, I know. It’s been proved to be more dangerous than drunk driving (and less fun I’ll have to admit) and, as of December 1, will be illegal in North Carolina and many other states.

I’m trying to stop, but it’s gotten to be a habit and habits are so hard to break.

Habits always serve a purpose for good or ill. Texting while driving means I can respond to a thought immediately, fill boring driving time, and not forget an idea. But, it’s unsafe (I’ve drifted off the road a couple of times) and I keep thinking that it’s just a matter of time before I drift into a really bad situation.

All of this because of a habit. Mark Twain said that changing habits couldn’t be done quickly. They had to be “coaxed down the stairs one at a time.”

Let’s make a pact. I’ll stop if you’ll stop.

You go first.

No comments:

Post a Comment