Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Train In the Diistance

The entire human race can be divided into two groups…melody people and lyric people. I tend to be a melody guy; my brother focuses on the lyrics. The implications are pretty deep when you think about it, but I’ll leave that for another day.

Joe has been trying to get me to listen to a Paul Simon song, “Train in the Distance,” for quite awhile and until Sunday I had not had a chance. I downloaded it and listened to it four or five times. Am listening to it right now as I write this.

There are some incredible lines (go to Lyrics.com and check’em out), but the ones that have really stuck with me are: “Everyone loves the sound of a train in the distance, and everyone thinks it’s true,” and, “the thought that things could be better is woven indelibly into our hearts and brains.”

Well, YEAH. If that ain’t America I don’t know what is….if we don’t believe there’s something better out there in some areas of life then it’s the movie Groundhog Day (living the same day over and over) all the time. Ya gotta believe that the future is going to be better in some way than the present, or, especially, the past.

Victorian poet Robert Browning said, “Your reach should exceed your grasp, or what’s a Heaven for?”

Ab..so…damn…lutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment