Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All I Want for Christmas

When I stopped at a local mall to buy one last item (something utilitarian for myself…not a gift) I was…well…annoyed at how hard it was to even get into the parking lot. And then almost every spot was taken. And there was an Army of late shoppers frantically trying to get their shopping done.

I know, I know, it’s Christmas.

Ok, I sound like a Scrooge. But, I remember my father saying, “Why is all this buying and going and doing jammed into one time of year? Why can’t we treat people every day like we treat them at Christmas?”

I thought it was kinda dumb at the time. I don’t think it’s dumb now.

Here’s my question: How many of the latest toys (help me with the Zhu Zhu pet thing) and technology will be broken by lunchtime on Christmas Day? How many of the sweaters, shirts, ties, and accessories will never be worn?

Let’s be honest…Christmas is much more for the givers than the getters. It’s about giving what you think the other person should have, not necessarily what they want. And we don’t often know what they really want because we don’t really listen to them.

Here’s my suggestion: Spend the next few days really listening to people. Often, they will tell you in one way or another that they want to truly know (not just hope, think, or assume) that you love them, that you appreciate them, that you are glad they are in your life.

I’ll go first: I’m glad you are here. Thanks for reading.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

See you next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment