Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Belle of the Ball

Recently, I read an article that noted North Carolina’s dubious honor as one of the primary sources of fake IDs.

For some reason my mind jumped immediately to the diploma mills you see on the internet.

OK, so I had a weak moment and for the fun of it got ordained as a minister by an internet church. According to what I found out I can perform weddings, and do christenings and funerals. I was thinking about getting one of those “Minister” stickers for my car so that I could park anywhere, but that’s probably more than you need to know. Bless you.

Back to the diploma mills. There’s an online university that, if you want to read about 10 books and write 10 papers, they’ll give you a doctorate. Now, let’s be honest. The credibility of having a doctorate could provide access to a fair number of opportunities, especially considering what I do for a living.

However, when their promotional materials said that at the end of the program you get “a diploma suitable for framing,” the whole thing seemed a little ridiculous.

You’d be surprised if you knew how many folks are faking it…faking education, credentials (oh yeah, no one lies on resumes, especially in a tough economy), lifestyles, income, political views, attitudes…you name it. My friends from Texas talk about people who are all hat and no cattle.

In fact, there is that wonderful cliché: Fake it ‘til you make it.

Here’s the deal: Don’t feel inferior, intimidated or outdone by someone until they’ve shown that they have the credibility, skills, accomplishments or….mmm…juice…to warrant your respect.

Be cordial, but don’t assume that just because they’re wearing a pretty dress they’re the belle of the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment