Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Nothing Works the First Time

Like many movie fans I am eagerly awaiting the much-promoted new movie, Avatar, directed by James Cameron (Titanic, Aliens, Terminator). It premieres a week from Friday, on December 18.

A wonderful article about the movie in the current issue of Time magazine notes that during the filming (that’s kind of an obsolete word in a digital world, isn’t it?) a crew member wrote a set catchphrase on a whiteboard: “It’s Avatar, dude, nothing works the first time.”

The technology Cameron used is so new (it supposedly creates 3-D images that you don’t need the silly, cardboard glasses to see) that…well…nothing worked the first time.

I’m in the middle of trying to learn some new technology myself and am frustrated beyond what is probably good for me. My young friends aren’t daunted and I envy their patience.

I’m going to take the note from the Avatar set to heart; “Dude, nothing works the first time.”

How much more patient and less frustrated would we be if we looked at a lot of the challenges we take on in life like that? Wouldn’t we cut ourselves a little more slack than we often do?

Try it: “Dude...or Dudette...nothing works the first time.”

(Unless it’s a parachute.)

No comments:

Post a Comment