Tuesday, December 29, 2009

That Which is Old is New

Ok, I have a confession that I’m sure some of you will click with: I LOVE quilts!

You may remember what it was like when you were a child. The grown-ups would put you in bed at your grandparents on a cold night and throw all those quilts on top of you. If you were like me you were thinking, “I sure hope they don’t forget me. I can’t even get out from under these things to go pee!”

But, wasn’t it warm? And the weight felt so comforting.

I’ve always loved quilts and about 20 years ago I made few. Not the patchwork style, mind you; even if I had the skills, I don’t have the patience. My quilts were essentially fabric sandwiches stitched together. But, they were cheap to make, felt great and lasted forever. My goal was to make art quilts that I wouldn’t mind throwing on a bed or on the floor.

My Christmas gifts to myself this year were some quilting books and some tools. I’m gettin’ back into quilting and I’ll let you know how it goes.

What activity from the past did you really enjoy that you’ve lost touch with? Wouldn’t you like to rediscover it? You’ll be surprised at how the rediscovery will energize you.

We can all use new/old activities to keep us growing.

What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment