Friday, January 8, 2010

Elvis...and dying in the can.

Today would have been Elvis’ 75th birthday.

I was never a big fan of The King’s music, but I LOVED his movies. Ann Margaret, cliff diving, driving that boat while wearing the funky little captain’s hat, driving race cars in Vegas or digging into a jail in Daytona Beach during Spring Break…you couldn’t ask for a better role model for a young, impressionable, teenage boy.

Raging testosterone and Elvis showed you what it was supposed to be used for.

No wonder so many of us guys are so screwed up when it comes to relationships.

We often forget that…THEY ARE MOVIES! And, while they might slightly reflect real life…they ain’t it. But, many of us thought they were.

A smart woman once told me that my #1 Problem with relationships was that I thought they were supposed to be a Carpenters’ or Johnny Mathis song.

She said it like it was a bad thing.

I mean, if you can’t hope then what’s it all about? Just sloggin’ to work, sloggin’ home, changing diapers (ok, in reality, since I never had kids of my own I’ve only done it once and…wow…if you’ve ever done it once why would you EVER have another kid?), paying bills, getting fat in front of the television, and then having a heart attack and dying while sitting on the john…which brings me back to Elvis.

So many of the ideas we have about life we’ve gotten from movies and television. Earlier generations got a lot of their ideas from reading and oral histories they heard from their elders. There’s a lot of difference, I believe, in those two flows of information.

Where do you get the stories that guide your life? Are they based on fact, or fiction?

And, remember this, if you tend to watch a ton of television or play a lot of video games, you are watching people do what they love to do with THEIR lives. Are you doing with your life what you love to do?

I certainly understand financial realities, but if it ain't a little fun, or if you aren't doing something so that when you do check out folks will know that you mattered, then life starts gettin' like the paragraph above that began with sloggin' and ended with dying in the crapper with your pants around your ankles (apologies for the indelicacy).

Have a wonderful weekend. See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment