Monday, January 25, 2010

Out of Sight, Out of......

Am heading back to the East Coast today. I started thinking this morning about some of the challenges that I left behind last Thursday and that it's almost as if I'm flying back to them today.

For the weekend, many of my issues have been out of sight both literally and digitally. And, while they certainly haven't been totally out of mind I haven't given them the constant thought and attention I did when I was in the middle of them back home.

Hopefully, distance has helped me find a new perspective for some of the challenges. Thinkers and creators from Aristotle to da Vinci to choreographer Twyla Tharp have extolled the virtues of changing your place in order to change your thoughts. I don't know if the old adage, "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is necessarily true, but I can tell you that very often "absence helps the mind prioritize."

I'm finding that I'm coming back with a new focus on some of the issues.

I know that today is Monday and most often we think that getting way happens on the weekend. But, escaping doesn't have to happen for long periods of time. In fact, it doesn't have to physically happen. You can escape in your mind.

Where can you go, literally or mentally, to look at your challenges from a new angle? Visit a local museum, take a walk somewhere new, go home a different way, find a book full of pictures and leaf through it and see if you don't receive new thoughts as if they were gifts of the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment