Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So, Whatcha Gonna Do?

Yesterday was an interestig day, health-wise.

I had my annual physical last week and got a call from the doctor's office with the results of my blood work.

Now, as the comedian Ron White would say, "I gotta tell ya this so I can tell ya that." One of my favorite movies is the Bruce Willis adventure flik, Armageddon. A favorite scenes is when NASA doctors are examining Willis' wild group of oil field roustabouts who are going to be sent into space and a doctor says one of the men, "Your triglycerides are disturbingly high and your cholesterol is shocking." To which the character unapologetically answers, "Pork rind this!"

When the nurse told me that my cholesterol is 324 (they want under 200), my triglycerides were 210 (under 100 is desired), the doc wants me to lose 40 pounds and he wants to see me again in 6 months (never heard that request before and have been seeing him for 25 years), I thought, "Beer/mexican food/doughnuts/french fries/ice cream this!"

So, here's the deal: When you get basic, factual information telling you that you should probably change a behavior what do you do?

The sad fact is that most people don't change. Most change is not easy, not fun, and not lasting. In order to make the change stick you have to be committed.

What do I do with this cold water in the face?

Looks like it's going to be exercise/better eating/more rest/better choices this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment