Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm Sorry

Apologies come in two types: Sincere and Insincere.

Sincere apologies mean you’re sorry and you’ll try not to make the same mistake again.

Very often, when children have been taught to say that they are sorry for mistakes or transgressions they believe that all they have to do is say, “I’m sorry,” and it makes everything all right. They’ll toss off “I’m sorry” and keep right on moving.

It’s understandable that, as children, they might not yet comprehend that they’re supposed to mean it when they say it. Hopefully, they’ll soon understand the full power and purpose of an apology.

Adults who do the quick, “Sorry,” with the tight little smile make matters worse. Their meaning is usually, “I’m not really sorry, but I’m supposed to say it.”

Sincere apologies are very powerful. They pull people closer together. A sincere, “I’m sorry,” doesn’t have to be overblown or profuse. It does, however, have to be heartfelt.

If you are sorry, apologize sincerely and move ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment