Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Man in the Mirror

There is a mirror outside my office. Since my office is in my home, and I often write this blog first thing in the morning before doing anything else, you can understand that the reflected image I sometimes see when I come out of my office may not be… mmm… pretty…or, handsome, depending on how you look at it.

In fact, let me be honest, there are times when my reaction is similar to John Belushi’s in Animal House when he sees the slide of Kent Dorfman…AAAAAAHHHH!!!...during the pledge-naming ceremony.

Who in your life knows what you really look like? I’m not talking about in the morning when your hair looks like someone combed it with a firecracker and you feel like you washed your face with ketchup.

I’m talking about who knows who you are in your heart.

It’s hard for people to know who you really are if you don’t show them.

And that’s a gamble, isn’t it?

Because if they really know who you are they may not like you, or work with you, or pay attention to you, or love you.

But what if you show them who you really are and you discover that, yes, some folks walk way, but there are other, better, people who like you more, will work even harder with you, will pay more attention to you (because they click with you), and love you more (see the click comment)?

Showing the real you can be risky, but the outcome is better than spending a lot of energy being someone else.

You might still jump when you catch sight of yourself in the mirror in the morning, but you’ll sleep better at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment