Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Second Chances

Second chances, mulligans, do-overs, don’t come around every day…or do they?

This month’s edition of the AARP magazine (don’t get me started about the fact that I get an AARP publication…I still haven’t gone for the senior coffee at McDonald’s) has a great article about Michael Douglas. It’s about his marriage to Catherine Zeta-Jones, 25-years younger, and their two children, 6 and 9, and how he sees his new family as a second chance.

I’ve always said that the people who say they have no regrets are either lying or they didn’t try hard enough to push the boundaries of life. So, getting a second chance may provide an opportunity to make up for some of the life experiences we regret. Or, simply to do a better job.

I’ve often said that if I won the lottery one of the things I’d do is get my college transcript (now, there’s a train wreck for you) and retake any class I earned less than a C in. I’d be going to college again for about 3 semesters.

But, do second chances come along by…well…chance? Or, are they there for the taking almost any time we want them?

As I think about it, I believe it’s the latter.

If you can change your mind, your attitude, your outlook on life you can become a new person. And that person can get another shot.

My favorite quote of all time is George Eliot’s, “It is never too late to be the person you might have been.”

You get to decide when you get a do-over.

Not Them.

You.

Take it.

I’ll go first.

No comments:

Post a Comment