Thursday, March 11, 2010

Comfort Food

What takes you back?

Last night I had country-style steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and collards. The fragrance took me back to my grandmother's house 50 years ago.

Food like that is comfort food for me. It takes me back to a time when life seemed simpler (at least in retrospect), joy was greater, and I felt safe.

Now, life sure seems more complicated, too often joy is lessened by a lot of those complications, and views of the future show a range of challenges advancing.

But, for a short while, with a comfort meal and friends, life seems to slow down and take on a warm feeling, a glow.

We all need a respite, an island in the storm, no matter how short and impermanent. Some people find it in worship, others in meditation (I slipped on the typing for a second and wrote medication, maybe that was a Freudian slip)or exercise, or being with family.

Quite often, I find it in food. Taken to extreme it can be a less-than-healthy choice, but it's better than a whole range of self-medication options.

But, I have to say that the fragrance of country-style steak and a plate with mashed-potatoes and gravy, and collards, beats any beer I've ever had.

What takes you to a place of comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment