Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dancin' With the Sluggoes

I have a confession to make. It's one that could lower your estimation of me as a person so I make the confession with reservations.

Drumroll, please.

Here it is: I watched Dancing With the Stars last night.

I know, I know. As the moments clicked by I could actually hear my testosterone level lowering. I had to click away and watch Oklahoma/Nebraska football on ESPN Classic..you know the game where Johnny Rogers runs the punt back at the end and Jack Mildren...mmm...ok...I'm digressing.

My main reason for watching was to see Buzz Aldrin, second man on the moon, dance. Unfortunately, Buzz dances with almost the same grace that he walked on the moon. But, on the moon he was wearing a bulky space suit.

Actually, some of the action (do you call it that?) was interesting. All the little cutaways that showed the conflicts dancers encountered when practicing was kinda...ok...I've already showed that I paid waaaaaaaaaaay more attention than was good for me.

However, the key point I took away was this: It's interesting to watch people who are really good at something paired up with people who aren't. The gap between the pros and the "stars" is pretty obvious. The pros have more snap to their moves, more energy, more precision....more consistency.

Think about it this way: We are rarely judged by what we do once in awhile; we are almost always judged by what we consistently do.

Are you consistently good at what you do? Or, as the parlance goes in football and basketball, do you take a play off every now and then?

If you are consistently good at what you do you know what other's judgements of you are, right? Some will admire you and a lot of them will believe that you are blowing the curve for everyone else. You're setting the bar too high. You're makin'em look bad by comparison.

I don't think that's a bad thing.

If we're going to pull out of this business/societal mess we are in we have to weed out some of the sluggoes.

Dance on.

No comments:

Post a Comment