Monday, March 8, 2010

A Flick of the Switch

I was prompted to think about the folks in Haiti and Chili today. Awoke this morning with the power off. Must have gone off not long after I went to bed. Stuff in the freezer was starting to thaw.

The power company folks came by and threw a breaker on the end of the building and I’VE GOT LIGHTS! Spent a lot of the morning cooking all the stuff in the freezer so it wouldn’t spoil; so I’m set for food for the rest of the week.

But, I got to thinking about how we take for granted something as simple as flicking a switch and having lights, music, computer connections and television.

What would it be like to not even be able to get a drink of clean water…but you can look up and see a jetliner flying over at 20,000 feet and know that the folks ensconced in comfort in that craft are sipping wine and eating peanuts from little bags and they can walk down a short aisle to go to the bathroom?

We take some many people, gifts, life situations and simple pleasures for granted. Right now I’m appreciating power.

What might you appreciate right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment