Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Your Legacy?

One of the devotions that comes to my email each day recently asked, “What legacy do you want to leave?”

It’s a great question to ask. I’ve known folks who did not care a whit about leaving a legacy. It seemed that they simply wanted to spend their time on earth, take up as much space and resources as possible and pass on with great fanfare. But, maybe I was misreading them and it did mattered to them whether or not they mattered and I was just not smart enough to recognize it.

What legacy do you want to leave?

On the day you retire do you want folks to stand and cheer, “Thank God she’s gone!” Or, do you want them to shake your hand and sincerely say, “We sure hate losing you”?

And, what of your family? What will be your legacy in terms of the people who probably know you best?

I once wrote a profile of a real estate mogul in Raleigh who, when I asked him about his legacy, said, “I always made money for my friends.” During the entire interview he never once mentioned his family and had no pictures or any reminders of them in his office.

What legacy do you want to leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment