Thursday, April 29, 2010

Big Blessings and Small Burdens

During the past 24 hours I’ve had two comments pop out and grab my attention.

The first is a short toast. While catching up on my favorite TV show, The Unit (I record all of them and then watch a bunch of them back-to-back-to-back), one of the characters toasted, “May all your troubles be small ones.”

Then, this morning, while reading the God Squad column in the paper I saw the phrase, “blessings outnumber burdens.”

I thought about putting those two comments together into a short thought, “May your blessings outnumber your burdens and may your burdens be small ones.” Not a bad toast, or, if you turn it to yourself, a simple prayer.

And if you’re popping out with a cynical, “Well, my burdens certainly aren’t small ones,” I’d suggest that you realize we all have tough challenges from time to time, but the alternative to being alive and having big challenges is not an attractive one.

If you don’t look around at least once a day and count some of your blessings you’re missing a wonderful opportunity to lower your stress level, appreciate life and be grateful.

Right this minute: What is one thing in life for which you are grateful?

No comments:

Post a Comment