Friday, April 9, 2010

The New iPad

My curiosity got the best of me and I went into an Apple store yesterday and played with an iPad.

It’s cool and everything, but it struck me as little more than a big iPhone that you can’t call or print or take a picture with. The advantages relate to size; you can read an ebook better and you can watch movies. Everything else is pretty much the same. I did discover that PowerPoints can be produced and shown from the iPad.

The iPad breaks new ground relating to connectivity and convenience. But, here’s the real deal: The best things about an iPad, and what it will really do for us haven’t been created yet. It’s a door opening to a new era.

The early adopters and the Apple Addicts will jump all over it. Good for them.

Most of the rest of us will wait for some of the advances and adaptations. There will be a small number of Luddites and stingies who won't accept it. That’s the way any new thing is treated.

So, you have to decide which group you’ll be a member of. I’m for the new stuff, but am going to wait a little while and try and figure out how it will help me do whatever I need it to do better than what I already have.

Met a guy tonight who said, “My cellphone is five years old and ugly, but it does what I need it to do.”

And, ain’t that the point?

Have a big weekend...and sing for me...my birthday is Monday so there is no telling if you'll see a blog or not.

1 comment: