Friday, May 14, 2010

Hee Haw! Hee Haw!

Making assumptions is a good way to get burned and make yourself feel stupid. As the cliche' goes, sooner or later assuming "makes and ASS out of U and ME."

I'd love to say that I'm highly evolved enough to not hold assumptions about how different people from various parts of the United States are, but hey, I'm human.

Yesterday, I was UP North (as we Southerners say) presenting for a large corporation. For awhile now I had been thinking, "You know how Yankees are." I was concerned about how the audience would react to my style and humor which is somewhat Southern.

So, before the program I made a point of greeting each person as they came into the room and chatting with them a bit. We joked about accents and by the time the program started, it was like old home week; one of the best programs and most fun I've had in a long time.

Presenting to smart, receptive people is always enjoyable. This was a group of physicians, pharma docs, nurse practitioners and other health care professionals. They got IT and the program was a blast.

Yesterday was another life lesson that, for the most part, we are all alike. Hopefully, they didn't see my tail, my two big ears, and hear me bray, "Hee Haw! Hee Haw!."

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment