Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Cool Walk In the Shade

It's a wonderful summer morning in Chapel Hill. Already, the temperature is climbing and it's supposed to be 94 this afternoon with a heat index of 100.

But, right now, as you walk across the University campus you can stroll through the cool shadows of the trees, feel the dewy dampness on the grass in the shaded areas, and enjoy the quiet that comes when the students are away.

Later today, on the curve that skims the eastern boundary of UNC-CH, you'll be able to look up into the trees and the humidity will be so high it's as if you can see water hanging in the air. As the sun streams down through the trees litte rainbows pop out in the air.

At this moment I'm at the Carolina Inn; a 100+ year old icon adjacent to the campus. Light classical music is playing and I'm getting ready to have a seat on one of their overstuffed couches and enjoy an ice-cold lemonade.

Here's the reason I'm offering this scene to you: Some of you are in offices or meetings you don't want to be in, doing things you don't want to do, with people you'd rather not be with. Reread the blog and, for a moment, come with me. Have a seat next to me or walk with me across campus...in your imagination. I promise, the exercise will calm you, energize you, and relax you.

Do you have a place you can go in your mind that provides a respite from the day? If you don't, you need one. Mine is the curve I mentioned.

Come with me to the curve this afternoon. We'll stroll slowly in the heat, enjoy the little rainbows, and cool our faces with the condensation from the cups that hold our lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment