Monday, August 9, 2010

Throw'em a Line...Or, Throw Yourself One

I’ve been trying to save someone for a long time. Not in the spiritual sense, but trying to help them have a different life.

Am not noting the above to get credit, but to recognize that I’ve failed. Deep down I probably knew a long time ago that I was going to fail but didn’t want to admit it to myself. So, I’m giving up and pointing that energy to other pursuits, mostly internal.

I don’t know if you can save people. The question really goes to motivation. You can point out a different future, help them prepare for it, and even push them in that direction. But, if they don’t want to start walking you really can’t make them.

Too often we focus on others when we should be focusing on ourselves. It seems easier, sometimes, to let external action take the place of internal exploration.

Look inside. You may find that you’re the one who needs saving and you’re the only one who can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment