Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hire People Who Play

“Hire people who play at what you have to work at.”

The quote came from a CD I was listening to yesterday. I had a real life example of the strategy this morning.

I have a couple of projects I’m working on and I just can’t get revved up to get them going. But, this morning I thought about them in a little different way and all of a sudden my energy level jumped.

I realized that I didn’t have to do some of what is slowing me down. I can do part of the project to get it going and I can hire someone pretty cheaply to handle some of the more onerous parts.

If you’re running into an obstacle and you can’t hire someone to move it for you you might want to delegate the task, if possible. Or, you could come up with a great reward that you get if you complete the task. Or, you could try to see the task in a different light (ex. You’re doing it to help someone, teach someone, or do it as your good deed of the day).

We all have stuff we need to do but don’t want to do. The key is to do whatever you can to get it close to “Need to do and want to do.”

So, whataya have?

No comments:

Post a Comment