Friday, October 1, 2010

Do You Go With the Flow?

What are your sleep patterns when you’re on a roll?

I have friends who, when they are really cranking out the work, will go to bed exhausted, sleep 8-9 hours or more, and then get up and get after it again.

When I’m really rockin’ I seem to need less sleep. The energy of the idea or the accomplishment keeps me energized. I seem to go to bed spent and six hours later it’s morning. I sleep more when I’m bored.

It’s a great idea to try and work with your natural rhythms. Life itself has rhythms of ebb and flow and if you can take advantage of how energy moves through your life you can be more productive and enjoy life more.

Working against your natural rhythms seems to be more stressful.

We live in a society in which time is dictated by the concept of work and not by nature. It’s been like this since we moved away from an agricultural society.

Today is October 1. For the next month, whenever possible, try to be aware of your natural rhythms and work with them. If you can’t due to work and life responsibilities try to be aware of whether or not you might be more tired or energized, stressed or relaxed, productive or nonproductive, and do those states match your rhythms.

As for me, it’s 6:30 am and I’m in the middle of a very productive time so I’d better get back to work.

Have a big weekend and I’ll see you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment