Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The STUFF Is Winning!

I’d love to be able to say that my work area is always as organized as what I teach in some of my seminars. (A shrink once asked me if I ever listened to what I tell other people to do in my seminars.)

Well, sometimes.

It’s the end of the year and so much of my office has become a catch’all for ideas, books, papers, folders and technology I have to learn how to use.

Are you feelin’ my pain? Are you running into the same problem?

I’ve used my 30-Second Secret (take 30 seconds to put up and clean up), and usually it works to keep me organized, but I’ve been overwhelmed by so much STUFF during the last few weeks that the STUFF has won at this point.

However, today’s the day I get started with getting things straight. My goal is to have everything in its place or thrown out by noon on New Year’s Eve.

Here’s my plan: I’m going to divide the office into segments…the bookcase…top of the desk…Pile #1 on the floor…and so on. Then, I’m going to tackle each segment. When I finish a segment I’ll reward myself…go to the gym…eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut…go for a walk…eat another Krispy Kreme. You get the idea.

Also, I’ll keep a football game or music going in the background. This slows me down a bit as I stop every now and then to watch or listen, but it makes the whole process more enjoyable.

Do you have a quagmire to dig yourself out of? Do you have a plan? When will you know what “done” looks like?

Have a plan. Have a deadline.

Let’s get ready to blow out this decade and welcome the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment