Friday, December 17, 2010

Why In the World Would You Think I'd Like THAT?!!

Was able to do the vast majority of my Christmas shopping yesterday.

Bumped into a friend at the mall and we got into what turned out to be an animated discussion about present buying.

She is adamantly opposed to gift certificates while I think that in lots of cases they are the perfect gift.

Her logic is that gift certificates signify “the easy way out” and that they show the giver as someone who didn’t want to put a lot of thought into the gift.

My logic is that while her argument might be true in some cases I believe that people should get what they want for a gift and not necessarily what someone thinks they ought to have. And, the best way to guarantee that the getter gets what they want is to let them pick it out. Without having the getter standing beside the giver and picking out the gift the gift certificate is the best way to go.

My logic comes from experiences of putting thought into what someone might want only to have them say something like, “Eeeeeeewwwww! Why in God’s name would you think I’d like that?!!” or, “If you cared about me you’d know what I want!” or “It’s…uh…cute…but I don’t like the (fill in the blank).” Or, you never again see them wear it, use it, eat it. Or, you see it regifted to someone else.

So, I decided that very often the best way to go is with the GC.

Good luck if you’re shopping this weekend.

And remember, if you can’t find a Carolina Blue sweater in XL, gift certificates are fine.

Have a great weekend. See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment