Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Have a Glass of Carrot Juice

In some of the seminars I present I use a Values survey to give folks an idea about what their focus at work and in life might be.

As you’d expect, a lot of the attendees check off values that they “hope” other people see in them or that they talk about, not what they are really like. It’s a wonderfully human trait.

I end the exercise by asking, “If I went to the people you love and the people you work with and ask, ‘Does this person really live this value?’ what would they say? Are you living your value?” There’s a high degree of squirming after I ask those questions.

Jack LaLanne died on Sunday. If there ever was a person who lived his values; who lived his story, it was Jack. He was the personification of a healthy lifestyle.

After 3,000 television shows, millions of exercises, and 96 years of living he was still active, vital and ready to take life on. He said, “I can’t die, it would ruin my image.”

Whether you want to have a story or not, you do. Are you living your story? And, if so, is it a story worth living?

No comments:

Post a Comment